Thursday, November 20, 2008

I just found out about this awesome website called Kiva: Loans That Change Lives. I read about it in my absolute most favorite magazine, Frankie. I am so excited to learn about this site and can't wait to have some time to sit down and pick one or a few people/groups to help out a bit.

Kiva's mission is to connect people through lending for the sake of
alleviating poverty. Kiva is the world's first person-to-person micro-lending
website, empowering individuals to lend directly to unique entrepreneurs in the
developing world.

The people you see on Kiva's site are real individuals in need of
funding - not marketing material. When you browse entrepreneurs'
profiles on the site, choose someone to lend to, and then make a loan, you
are helping a real person make great strides towards economic
independence and improve life for themselves, their family, and their
community. Throughout the course of the loan (usually 6-12 months), you
can receive email journal updates and track repayments. Then, when you
get your loan money back, you can relend to someone else in need.

I'm so glad a site like this exists..especially to counterbalance all the sites like " omg let me post a photo of myself and if you want me to get breast implants send me money right now ok". Also, here is a link to Kiva's supporters so you know it's not shady.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I try to always respond.

Related Posts with Thumbnails