Wednesday, April 08, 2009


So yes, tonight I discovered that the Turner Classic Movie channel is having a tribute to Morris Engel, who did one of my most favorite films, The Little Fugitive.

French director François Truffaut once said, "Our New Wave would never have come into being if it hadn't been for the young Morris Engel, with his fine Little Fugitive." High praise indeed, and as Truffaut observed, this early milestone of American independent filmmaking had a powerful influence on such later French classics as The Red Balloon and Truffaut's own Les Mistons and The 400 Blows.

I suggest this movie to anyone who I think would care. I wrote a really flighty post about it way back here and included the trailer (I still haven't seen the "remake"). I guess a dvd collection has just been released..I could only stay in front of the t.v. for The Little Fugitive and Lovers and Lollipops, so I'll have to get a copy of the collection to see the rest. If you're up late tonight, it's going on now and starts again at 1am eastern time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I try to always respond.

Related Posts with Thumbnails