Friday, June 08, 2007

A Nice & Quick Little History Lesson..

Nice began more or less in 2000. I was in my last year of high school and quite interested in graphic design. I was drawn to the name Nice because it is simple, has visual appeal (yes, words to me have visual appeal!), and because it's probably the most common word people have used to describe me throughout my life haha. When you get called 'nice' so many times you begin to wonder if that's all you are! haha Of course that's a ridiculous thought, unless you consider that nice really is just the word to sum up everything that is pretty and cool and fresh, and just it. Not that I myself am perfect haha, just that the word, nice, pretty much is perfect. I am rambling. But do you get what I'm trying to say? haha

Anyway, I doodled a lot on and off the computer making random logos and artwork involving the word nice. I think if I remember right it was even a DJ name I considered haha (another silly story). I guess it wasn't until 2002 that I first made websites using things like Tripod.com (remember that??) and later my first dot com, www.nice-etc.com. It was mainly a little blog and random art made on the computer, and you know what, it was pretty cool if I do say so myself - Especially because I am certainly no html genius! I really, really wish I had screen shots. I do still have most of the artwork and I'm sure I'll pull it out maybe even soonish for a new project. I believe it was 2005 when the site went down. Here are a few random images from the websites..


<span class=
The first Nice logo to be used on the web! 2002

<span class=
In 2000 I started to really love pixelated artwork haha.. This was from 2003 I'd say.

<span class=

<span class=
The above two were banners for the Links and Contact page.

<span class=
The "blog" area was called The Pop Section

FIL865
The first time I used that font for the Nice logo was in 2004

I started painting on wood and vintage wallpaper in 2004 and wanted a place to sell it. I am so glad Etsy came around because I had dreams about hosting my own web shop but I know it would have been a tough route. I didn't know about the Renegade Craft Fair back then! And boy was I craving something just like that! I'm so glad all these creative venues are available today. It spreads a lot of happiness! ..And niceness, too! haha


4 comments:

  1. Hello Caitlin ; )
    I love the history lesson! Brings abck some fun memories. I remember that lap top drawing computer attatchment you Dad and I got you!
    Love you : )
    xoxox
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the crash course in Nice-ness! I REALLY love all of the graphics and things you made! So clever....you should design my logo (I still don't have one......I'm just so indecisive.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MERCI, MOM.

    Amanda: hahah you're welcome. You always have great logos! If you need a second opinion on any ideas I'd love to help!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I try to always respond.

Related Posts with Thumbnails