Thursday, November 08, 2007

FIL1729

This is me, fashionable as ever, when I was 6 or 7 I would guess?? Look at that face. I was a nut. I know one of my first fashion inspirations was Rudy from The Cosby Show (I wanted my hair in multiple braids with tons of barrettes)..I would often ask my mom to braid my hair in as many braids as she could after I'd taken a bath. I'm not sure if I was aware at how crazy it made me look, but it was certainly worth the added bonus of waking up with crimped hair the next morning. Another favorite hair style was the "punk rocker hair-do" which was the highest ponytail you could possibly get in the center or of course on the side of your head. That one sure made my head sore at the end of the day!
So, this photo got me thinking about some of my very first D.I.Y. projects I came up with all on my own... Here are the tutorials hahah... (all from the era of this photo, in case my style point of view doesn't translate)

kiddiy2

The bracelets I used were actually a lot like the ones pictured, only mine were
cheap plastic that you wear separate or snap them
together for one big bangle. In my case, I used them each as an earring!
haha. I'd tie a loop through the bracelet and then loop the string around my
ears and presto! HUGE HOOP EARRINGS WE ARE STYLIN' NOW!

kiddiy1

Jelly shoes and Lego Duplos! I had the solid color Jellies, as opposed to
the transparent kind. ..So yes, You take a Duplo block and tape, tape, tape
it to the heel of your shoe and you are walking tall! Bonus = the click, click
sound of the Duplo hitting the ground (although a Mom wouldn't suggest
strutting on wood floors, etc...there were many hours spent dancing around in the basement).


Here are a bunch of other favorite photos that I uploaded to Flickr...

grandmapa
With my Mom's Dad and Mom. I think I get my blonde hair and blue eyes from my Grandpa.

FIL1458
At Grandma and Grandpa's.

FIL1724
Daisy, me, and Emma. One night, a mosquito bit my eye while I was sleeping.

FIL1727
My Brother, Douglas, and me. I swear I am not strangling him!!

FIL1728
See! I always made that face! Here I am playing house in the entryway of our old house in Redford, Michigan.

dance
My Dad, me, and my Mom after my first and only dance recital for jazz dance. I was the front of a car.


Fun times! Any great old photos you have to share??




6 comments:

  1. wow! These are too stinkin' cute, thanks for sharing them!
    Great to see you had such a fun personality, even as a wee one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww! so cute! i love the legos and jelly diy idea, maded me laugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah glad you two enjoyed them! I was a very silly girl. ..still am. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I loved your post....growing up in the 80's a lot of my pictures from childhood are very similar to yours....And I had jelly shoes, too (though mine, if I remember, were the translucent sort) ;)

    Your childhood inventions are so cute and funny!:) I used to fashion gowns for my dolls out of foil! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LIKE IT WHEN YOUR EYE IS BROKE THE BEST

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha Thanks, Marjorie! Jelly shoes were extra great because it was a sure sign of summer haha. ...haha I don't think I ever thought to use foil..I did some weird tube top kinda things with scrap fabric though hahah.


    katie! are you back in blogland or what?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I try to always respond.

Related Posts with Thumbnails